Try to find the full forms of these place names. Google may help in some cases:
- An easy one to start with. What is Wimco?
2. Which station? And what important railway facilities are there?
3. What is DMW?
4. What does DAV stand for?
5. What is WRS? and which city is nearby?
6. This is not in West Bengal, but in another state where Bengali is the main language. What does S.K. stand for?
- WIMCO stands for the Western India Match Company, a long-standing MNC which was taken over by ITC in the 2000s. The main factories were in Ambernath and Chennai (which had this station which remains after the factory was closed).
- NKJ= New Katni Jn. A major electric loco shed is nearby (with locos marked NKJ). There is also a diesel loco shed nearby with locos marked “Katni”.
- Diesel Loco Modernization Works at Patiala. It was earlier known as Diesel Component Works, which had the initials DCW. https://dmw.indianrailways.gov.in/
- There are DAV colleges and schools in many towns in northern India. This stands for Dayanand Anglo Vedic. There is also a halt station for DAV College Jalalabad, a smaller town in Punjab.
- The Wagon Repair Shop colony in Raipur.
- Sindhu Kumar Para in Tripura. It is not clear why a relatively short name like this needs initials.
The quickest good responses were from Ganesh Iyer and Pavel Ghosh.
2 thoughts on “Quick quiz-Place names with initials.”
Sir, I think WIMCO stands for WIMCO ltd which deals in matchsticks. I assume there is a matchstick factory of WIMCO nearby the station.
DAV College may be a branch of the DAV education society (Daya and Anglo Vedic Education) which has a number of schools and colleges around the country.
See the update with answers.
Comments are closed.