Bangladesh won the ongoing ODI series against India after taking a 2-0 lead with one to go. Much of the credit would go to Mehdi Hasan Miraz who became the second to score a century at No 8 in an ODI, and became the joint record-holder for the highest score at No 8 in an ODI.
Here are the highest scores at No 8 in ODIs:
As we can see, Simi Singh of Ireland had also scored 100* at No 8 against SA in 2021.
Coulter-Nile’s 92 is a record for No 8 in World Cup matches.
Here we have the highest score for each batting position in ODIs as on date (Dec 07, 2022):
- MJ Guptill, 237*, NZ v WI, Wellington, 2015 (World Cup)
- RG Sharma, 264. Ind v SL, Kolkata, 2014 (Record score in all ODIs)
- CJ Coventry, 194*, Zim v BD, Bulawayo, 2009
- IVA Richards, 189*, WI v Eng, Manchester, 1984
- JS Malhotra, 173*,USA v PNG, Al Amerat, 2021
- N Kapil Dev, 175*, Ind v Zim, Tunbridge Wells, 1983 (World Cup)
- L Ronchi, 170*, NZ v SL, Dunedin, 2015
- Simi Singh, 100*, Ire v SA, Dublin, 2021 and MH Miraz, 100*, BD v Ind, Mirpur, 2022
- AD Russell, 92*, WI v Ind, North Sound, 2011
- R Rampaul, 86*, WI v Ind, Vizag, 2011
- Mohammad Amir, 58, Pak v Eng, Nottingham, 2016
India accounts for the top score in all ODIs (RG Sharma’s 264 at No 2). Kapil’s 175* in the 1983 World Cup remains the best at No 6. It is the oldest among the records listed above.
However, India has encountered the opposition scoring the best at No 8, 9 and 10.