(Answers are given below the respective questions)
The best response was by Debatra Majumdar.
- What connects these places? (Hint: Think beyond the railways)
They were major air bases of the British and US air forces during WW2. Now they are disused. A few, like Kalaikunda, are still in use.
2. This may be simpler. It is easy to see what connects these places. Each of them corresponds to a station in India. Name them.
3. Each of these stations corresponds to a station in India. Name the latter.
Jassar: Dera Baba Nanak
Zero Point: Munabao
(Note: Zero Point is now called Marvi. No picture with this board could be found).
4. This used to be an important junction in Pakistan’s Punjab, and is close to India’s border. What was it called in the 1940s? Hint: think of a place where the Dalai Lama stays most of the time.
Macleodganj Road Jn, listed in timetables of the 1940s. The Dalai Lama stays in Mcleodganj, near the town of Dharmasala in Himachal Pradesh.
5. This station used to be on the NWR. But is neither in India nor Pakistan. Where is it?
Iran. This is between the Pakistan border and Zahidan. (Is the board in Farsi?)
6. This junction is for the branch to Pakistan’s northern-most terminus. Name the latter.
A branch from Taxila Cantt runs to Havelian, presently the northern-most station open in Pakistan. It is the railhead for Abbottabad. Earlier the northern-most station was Dargai on a branch from Nowshera.
7. This abandoned station was on the line connecting cities in India and Pakistan. Name them.
This is Ranbirsinghpura, the last station in India on the Jammu-Sialkot line which closed in 1947. Suchetgarh was the last station in Pakistan, although the village of that name seems to be in India.
8. What is special about this minor station in Bangladesh?
Dohazari is on a branch from Chittagong. It was built in the 1920s as the first stage of a line to Burma. No further progress was made.
9. This is a station in India. What is unusual about it?
This station is in India. Earlier there was a station with the same name in Bangladesh. The town extends over both countries.
10. What is common between these stations in different parts of Bangladesh?
Hili and Quasba are in Bangladesh but very close to the Indian border.